3.13.2010

Eating & Pregnancy

In last week's weekly update, I had in there that pregnant women shouldn't consume more then 150-200 calories extra per day. A recent friend who had a baby left a comment that there will be days/a point when you feel like eating a lot more then those calories. I agree that this can be very true but for right now I'm trying my very hardest to not go over my calorie count for the day. Also if you feel the need to eat more then 150-200 calories extra per day(some studies have shown that you should eat 300 extra calories in your second and third trimester), there is a huge difference in eating whole grain/fruits/vegetables/calcium then empty calories.

You should also never diet while being pregnant.

Right now, I get at least 4 servings of vegetables a day and 2 servings of fruit a day. I count those in as my extra calories. Are there days that I eat other foods, such as chips, candy, sure. But not every day. Remember the baby needs nutritious foods that really contribute to their growth and development.

I also don't like to hear pregnant woman say, "I can eat this whole bag of chips, because I'm pregnant." Being pregnant isn't an excuse to eat more or unhealthy!!

Ok that's it for my rant. I frequent a message board where I see women posting these things and it just bothers me.

Here is a good article I found on eating during pregnancy, just by doing a quick google search.

No comments: